This Savory Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie is super simple to make and incredibly delicious for a weeknight meal or special occasion. It’s healthy, too!
- 1 batch of my Savory Mashed Sweet Potatoes (linked here)
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 lb grass-fed ground beef or lamb
- Sea salt and black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos (soy sauce alternative)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot starch or cornstarch
- 1 cup green peas
- 1 cup beef broth (I used beef bone broth)
- Fresh thyme or rosemary, for serving (optional)
- Prepare batch of Sweet Potato Mash (linked here), can be done the day before.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat the avocado oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium heat. When the oil shimmers, add the onion, carrots, celery, and cook about 5 minutes or until the onions become translucent and the carrots start to soften. Add in the ground beef, and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook for another 5 minutes, or until the beef is just browned, then add the garlic, tomato paste, coconut aminos, and thyme. Cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently. Add in the arrowroot starch, and mix to combine. Stir in the green peas, and beef broth, then increase the heat to medium-high, and stir frequently. When the mixture has thickened, about 2-3 minutes, remove from the heat. Taste to adust seasoning.
- Dollop the sweet potato mash on top, then spread evenly.
- Bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes or until golden on top.
- Garnish with fresh herbs and enjoy!
- Feel free to use regular mashed potatoes for this recipe, but if you like sweet potatoes, I really encourage you to try it — because it’s SO good!
- Always try to opt for certified USDA organic ingredients to avoid toxic pesticides and additives.