This 5 ingredient gluten-free and refined sugar-free apple crisp has a little bit of sweet, a little bit of salty, and a whole lot of goodness.
- 1 cup (100 grams) old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cups (150 grams) homemade oat flour (see notes)
- 1/2 teaspoon + 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, separated
- 6 tablespoons pasture-raised salted butter, separated
- 6 tablespoons pure maple syrup, separated
- 6 medium apples (I like pink lady & granny smith)
MAKE THE CRUMBLE
- In a medium bowl combine 1 cup (100 grams) rolled oats, 1 1/4 cups (125 grams) oat flour, 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon, and 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt. Mix well.
- Grate 3 tablespoons of butter or cut into small cubes. Then, use fingers to cut the butter into the dry ingredients until the butter is distributed and the mixture is crumbly. Then, gently mix in 3 tablespoons of maple syrup. Set aside in the refrigerator.
MAKE THE FILLING
- Chop 6 apples into bite-sized cubes. Peel if desired. Set aside.
- Melt 3 tablespoons of butter in a large bowl. Add in the remaining 1/4 cup (25 grams) oat flour, 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon, 3 tablespoons of maple syrup, and a pinch of sea salt. Whisk together, then add in the chopped apples and toss, coating the apples.
PUT IT ALL TOGETHER
- Pour the coated apples into the prepared baking dish, then remove the crumble mixture from the refrigerator and sprinkle evenly over the apples.
- Bake in the oven for 35-45 minutes until the apples are soft and the crumble is lightly golden. Watch closely during the last 10 minutes, so the crumble doesn’t burn. Enjoy while hot and serve with a scoop of your favorite ice cream if desired.
MAKE THE OAT FLOUR: Add 1 1/2 cups (150 grams) of old-fashioned rolled oats to a blender or food processor. Process until it resembles flour.
Coming Early Fall 2020: Free e-cookbook loaded with healthy apple recipes (including this one!). Come say hi and keep up with new recipes over on Instagram @purelyflourish. I will announce the free e-cookbook there and to my newsletter subscribers. purelyflourish.com/newsletter.
Eating clean? Always try to go with certified USDA organic ingredients to avoid toxic pesticides like glyphosate.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 410
- Sugar: 31g
- Sodium: 302mg
- Fat: 14.5g
- Carbohydrates: 67g
- Fiber: 8.5g
- Protein: 6g
Keywords: dessert, apple, gluten-free, sugar-free