This 5 ingredient gluten-free and refined sugar-free apple crisp has a little bit of sweet, a little bit of salty, and a whole lot of goodness.
FOR THE OAT FLOUR
- 1 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
FOR THE CRUMBLE
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 teaspoon himalayan pink salt or sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons salted butter, slightly softened
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
FOR THE FILLING
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a small baking dish (like this 7 x 11 dish) with butter or ghee.
MAKE THE OAT FLOUR
Add 1 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats to a blender or food processor. Process until it resembles flour. Set aside.
MAKE THE CRUMBLE
- In a medium bowl, combine oat flour (all but 4 tablespoons), rolled oats, 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- Cut 3 tablespoons of butter into small cubes. Then, use fingers to cut butter into the dry ingredients until the butter is distributed and the mixture is crumbly. Once the mixture is crumbly, gently mix in 3 tablespoons of maple syrup. Set aside mixture in the refrigerator.
MAKE THE FILLING
- Peel and chop apples into bite-sized cubes, then add the apples into the prepared baking dish.
- Melt 3 tablespoons of butter. In a large bowl, add in the melted butter, 4 tablespoons of reserved oat flour, 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon, and the remaining 3 tablespoons of maple syrup. Mix well, then pour the mixture over the apples and toss, coating all of the apples.
PUT IT ALL TOGETHER
- Remove the crumble mixture from the refrigerator and sprinkle evenly on top of the apple mixture.
- Bake in the oven for 35-45 minutes until the crumble is lightly golden. Enjoy right away and serve with a scoop of your favorite ice cream if desired.
Always try to opt for certified USDA organic ingredients to avoid toxic pesticides.
Keywords: dessert, apple, gluten-free, sugar-free